This month Cre8 Fitness’ elite personal trainer Matt travelled to Toronto, Canada to learn from one of the world’s best strength & conditioning/nutrition coaches who has trained Olympic medallists in 12 different sports.
Matt joined Simon & Phil in adding BioSignature Modulation to his ‘box of tools’, we are all big believers in searching for the best and most credible health & fitness information available. This allows us to continually educate and motivate our clients to overcome the roadblocks to a healthier lifestyle. The added bonus is that applying the principles learnt from BioSignature Modulation will give them sexier, leaner bodies and boundless energy to enjoy their new lifestyles.
Five things that Matt learnt from Charles Poliquin:
- The first thing you put in your mouth in the morning sets your neurotransmitters for the day. If you drink orange juice or other high-glycemic foods that cause a spike in insulin this will trigger serotonin, which will make you feel good initially, but it will also make you sluggish and tired, which will then cause you to crave those sugary foods again. All this will achieve is your insulin levels spiking throughout the day. Protein and low-glycemic nuts are essential for priming the neurotransmitters for the day and causing your blood sugar to rise steadily and remain for a duration of time.
- Top two dietary risk factors for prostate and breast cancer are fat-free dairy products and ingesting sodium benzoate, which is in diet drinks (diet cola). Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) protects against cancer and is a natural part of the animal diet, meaning you can get CLA from animal products including meat and regular dairy products. Sodium benzoate is found in diet soda and other diet products and is cancer inducing.
- Stay away from parabens. Parabens are the chemicals found in body care products such as shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion. They are castration agents and will turn the male androgen hormones into estrogen. Parabens are also linked to breast cancer development in women. Go home, look in your shower, if your shampoo and conditioner have parabens in them, and throw them out. There is a website www.ewg.org where you can look up your products and it does the work for you, however it is an American website, so the names are different, i.e. Lynx becomes Axe etc.
- Almost everyone’s deficient in vitamin D. Get vitamin D tested because the ideal dose will be dictated by your results. A test conducted two years ago in Phoenix showed that the average was 14 to 18 nmol/L. Recommended levels are over 100. A man who worked outside all day in the sun had the highest level at 53. People from the UK had an average of 14. Replace vitamin D faster by taking 100,000 IUs twice a week. Here in the UK we are beginning now to move towards the darker months, so it is going to be even worse.
- Gluten – if you are blonde haired and blue eyed, then it is near certain that you are intolerant to gluten. Gluten should be avoided for the following reasons (shown below); I think you will agree that most are worth eliminating it altogether. There is much research to outline these points; however including them all in the newsletter would mean your newsletter would be 1000 pages long. If you want to see the research, then just ask one of the team. Below are some reasons why you may want to cut gluten out:
- Gluten has been linked to autism.
- Gluten is associated to osteoarthritis.
- Gluten will ramp down your thyroid.
- Gluten can induce depression.
- The glutamate content found in gluten kills brain cells.
- Gluten is associated with accelerated aging.
- Gluten weakens tooth enamel.
- Gluten has a negative effect on body composition.
- Gluten can aid in immune function dysfunction.
- Gluten aggravates menopausal symptoms.